The neuroinflammation group have an interest in central nervous system inflammation following acute brain injuries such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Subarachnoid Haemorrhage (SAH). Innate inflammation comprises of a complex sequence of cellular and humoral responses following any neurological insult. These responses can be protective leading to clearance of cellular debris and promoting a reparative environment, but they can also exacerbate neuronal injury. We are a clinically focussed group that aims to determine how neuroinflammatory responses impact on metabolism and how this can be modulated as a therapeutic target.
- Microdialysis Monitoring of Inflammatory Mediators
Microdialysis is an invasive method of sampling the brain extracellular space and is used clinically as a monitoring tool following both TBI and SAH. The same catheters can be used to recover cytokines and chemokines directly from the human brain.
- Clinical Trials of Neuromodulatory Agents
We are actively trialling neuroprotective agents in TBI, to modify the neuroinflammatory cascade and ameliorate the damaging effects of neuroinflammation.
- Statistical Methods
Inflammatory mediators act in complex cascades and their concentrations in the brain are highly correlated: in statistical terms they show high collinearity. Specialised methods for interpreting this data are necessary to determine which mediators are injurious.
- Cellular Drivers of Inflammation
We are actively developing a methodology for extracting and separating single cells from the human brain to investigate the source of the cytokines and chemokines that we detect following acute brain injury.
University Lecturer & Hon Consultant Neurosurgeon
Professor Peter Hutchinson
Dr Keri Carpenter
Mr Mathew Guilfoyle
Miss Tamara Tajsic
Dr M. Aftab Alam
Dr Agnieszka Zakrzewska
Dr Danyal Khan
Dr Adam Safwat
Professor David Menon
Professor Stephen Sawcer
Dr Rickie Patani
Professor Menna Clatworthy
Dr Maria Ban
Dr Lori Turner
Dr Gwenael Leday
Dr Eric Thelin
- Thelin EP, Hall CE, Tyzack GE, Frostell A, Giorgi-Coll S, Alam A, Carpenter K, Mitchell J, Tajsic T, Hutchinson PJ, Patani R, Helmy A. Delineating Astrocytic Cytokine Responses in a Human Stem Cell Model of Neural Trauma. J Neurotrauma. 2019 Aug 27.
- Agoston V, Vink R, Helmy A, Risling M, Nelson D, Prins M. How to Translate Time: The Temporal Aspects of Rodent and Human Pathobiological Processes in Traumatic Brain Injury. J Neurotrauma. 2019 Mar 7.
- Tsyben A, Guilfoyle M, Timofeev I, Anwar F, Allanson J, Outtrim J, Menon D, Hutchinson P, Helmy A. Spectrum of outcomes following traumatic brain injury-relationship between functional impairment and health-related quality of life. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2018 Jan;160(1):107-115.
- Thelin EP, Hall CE, Gupta K, Carpenter K, Chandran S, Hutchinson PJ, Patani R, Helmy A. Elucidating pro-inflammatory cytokine responses following traumatic brain injury in a human stem cell model. J Neurotrauma. 2017 Oct 5.
- Jalloh I, Helmy A, Howe DJ, Shannon RJ, Grice P, Mason A, Gallagher CN, Stovell MG, van der Heide S, Murphy MP, Pickard JD, Menon DK, Carpenter TA, Hutchinson PJ, Carpenter KL. Focally perfused succinate potentiates brain metabolism in head injury patients. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2017Jul;37(7):2626-2638.
- Helmy A, Guilfoyle MR, Carpenter KL, Pickard JD, Menon DK, Hutchinson PJ. Recombinant human interleukin-1 receptor antagonist promotes M1 microglia biased cytokines and chemokines following human traumatic brain injury. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2016 Vol 36(8) 1434-1448
- Hutchinson PJ, Jalloh I, Helmy A, Carpenter KL, Rostami E, et al.Consensus statement from the 2014 International Microdialysis Forum. Intensive Care Med. 2015 Sep;41(9):1517-28.
- Guilfoyle MR, Carpenter K, Helmy A, Pickard J, Menon D, Hutchinson PJ. Matrix Metalloproteinase Expression in Contusional Traumatic Brain Injury: A Paired Microdialysis Study. J Neurotrauma. 2015 Oct 15;32(20):1553-9]
- Budohoski KP, Guilfoyle M, Helmy A, Huuskonen T, Czosnyka M, Kirollos R, Menon DK, Pickard JD, Kirkpatrick PJ.The pathophysiology and treatment of delayed cerebral ischaemia following subarachnoid haemorrhage. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2014 May 20.
- Helmy A, Guilfoyle MR, Carpenter KL, Pickard JD, Menon DK, Hutchinson PJ. Recombinant Human Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist in Severe Traumatic Brain Injury: a Phase II Randomised Control Trial. Journal Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism 2014 Feb 26. doi: 10.1038/jcbfm.2014.23.
- Helmy A, Antoniades CA, Guilfoyle MR, Carpenter KL, Hutchinson PJ. Principal component analysis of the cytokine and chemokine response to human traumatic brain injury. PLoS One. 2012;7(6):e39677. Epub 2012 Jun 22.
- Helmy A, De Simoni MG, Guilfoyle MR, Carpenter KL, Hutchinson PJ. Cytokines and innate inflammation in the pathogenesis of human traumatic brain injury. Prog Neurobiol. 2011 Nov;95(3):352-72. Epub 2011 Sep 16.
- Helmy A, Carpenter KL, Menon DK, Pickard JD, Hutchinson PJ. The cytokine response to human traumatic brain injury: temporal profiles and evidence for cerebral parenchymal production. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2010 Aug 18.
- Helmy A, Carpenter KL, Skepper JN, Kirkpatrick PJ, Pickard JD, Hutchinson PJ. Microdialysis of cytokines: methodological considerations, scanning electron microscopy, and determination of relative recovery. J Neurotrauma. 2009 Apr;26(4):549-61.