Dr Stephen Price
BSc, MB, BS (London), PhD, FRCS.
Clinician Scientist & Hon. Consultant Neurosurgeon at University of Cambridge
Director of Studies for Clinical Medicine
Senior Research Associate
Fellow (Neurobiology), Director of Studies for Clinical Medicine, Queens’ College
Stephen graduated in medicine from Bart’s Medical College in 1994 and did his basic surgical training in the East Midlands. He trained in neurosurgery in Nottingham and Romford before starting the Cambridge training scheme. Stephen was made Clinical Lecturer in 2005 and was appointed consultant neurosurgeon with a special interest in managing brain tumours in 2008. He is currently the network lead for brain tumours at the Anglian Cancer Network and clinical lead for surgical neuro-oncology. Stephen introduced 5-ALA fluorescence guided surgery to Cambridge to help maximise tumour removed and, with colleagues, regularly teach other surgeons how to use these methods. His practice is largely based around the surgical management of malignant brain tumours (gliomas and metastases).
In 2010 he was awarded a NIHR Clinician Scientist Fellowship and currently balances his clinical practice with research. His research interest involves using advanced imaging methods to study the effects of tumours on the normal brain surrounding brain tumours. This work aims to better outline the invasive margin of these tumours and understand the effect of these tumours and treatment on the functioning of the normal brain. Stephen is keen to see if we can use these methods to individualise treatments. In 2016 he developed the Cambridge Brain Tumour Imaging Laboratory – UK’s first dedicated brain tumour imaging analysis laboratory. He has been a member of the NCRI Brain Tumour Study Group and the Neuro-oncology Clinical Study Group and was the chair the Imaging and Technology Sub- Group. He is a Bye-Fellow of Queens’ College and is the Director of Studies of Clinical Medicine.
- R Fernández-Méndez, RJ Rastall, WA Sage, I Oberg, G Bullen, AL Charge, A Crofton, T Santarius, C Watts, SJ Price, A Brodbelt and AJ Joannides (2018). Quality improvement of neuro-oncology services: integrating the routine collection of patient-reported, health-related quality-of-life measures. Neuro-Oncology Practice (accepted 17 October 2018) doi: 10.1093/nop/npy040 [Epub ahead of print].
- G Collord, P Tarpey, N Kurbatova, I Martincorena, S Moran, M Castro, T Nagy, G Bignell, F Maura, MD Young, J Berna, JMC Tubio, CE McMurran, AMH Young, M Sanders, I Noorani, SJ Price, C Watts, E Leipnitz, M Kirsch, G Schackert, D Pearson, A Devadass, Z Ram, VP Collins, K Allinson, MD Jenkinson, R Zakaria, K Syed, CO Hanemann, J Dunn, MW McDermott, RW Kirollos, GS Vassiliou, M Esteller, S Behjati, A Brazma, T Santarius and U McDermott (2018). An integrated genomic analysis of anaplastic meningioma identifies prognostic molecular signatures. Scientific Reports 8(1):13537.
- MG Hart, R Romero-Garcia, SJ Price and J Suckling (2018) Global effects of focal brain tumors on functional complexity and network robustness: a prospective cohort study. Neurosurgery 2018 Aug 22. doi: 10.1093/neuros/nyy378. [Epub ahead of print]
- C Li, S Wang, J-L Yan, RJ Piper, H Liu, T Torheim, H Kim, NR Boonzaier, R Sinha, T Matys, F Markowetz and SJ Price (2018) Intratumoral heterogeneity of glioblastoma infiltration revealed by joint histogram analysis of diffusion tensor imaging. Neurosurgery (accepted 17 May 2018) doi: 10.1093/neuros/nyy388.
- BRJ van Dijken, PJ van Laar, C Li, J-L Yan, NR Boonzaier, SJ Price and A van der Hoorn (2018) Ventricle contact is associated with lower survival and increased peritumoral perfusion in glioblastoma. Journal of Neurosurgery (accepted 2 May 2018).
- RJ Piper, KK Senthil, J-L Yan and SJ Price (2018) Neuroimaging classification of progression patterns in glioblastomas: a systematic review. Journal of Neuro-oncology 139(1):77-88.
- W Sage, M Guilfoyle, C Luney, A Young, R Sinha, D Sgubin, JH McAbee, R Ma, S Jefferies, R Jena, F Harris, K Allinson, T Matys, W Qian, T Santarius, S Price, C Watts (2018) Local alkylating chemotherapy applied immediately after 5-ALA guided resection of glioblastoma does not provide additional benefit. Journal of Neuro-oncology 136(2):273-280.
- Verburg, FWA Hoefnagels, F Barkhof, R Boellaard, S Goldman, J Guo, JJ Heimans, OS Hoekstra, R Jain, M Kinoshita, PJW Pouwels, SJ Price, JC Reijneveld, A Stadlbauer, WP Vandertop, P Wesseling, AH Zwindermanand PC De Witt Hamer (2017) Diagnostic Accuracy of Neuroimaging to Delineate Diffuse Gliomas within the Brain: A Meta-Analysis. AJNR American Journal of Neuroradiology 38(10):1884-1891.
- NC Keong, A Pena, SJ Price, MC Czosnyka, Z Czosnyka, E DeVito, C Housden, BJ Sahakian and JD Pickard (2017) Diffusion tnesor imaging profiles reveal specific neural tract distortion in normal pressure hydrocephalus. PLoS ONE 12(8):e0181624.
- BR van Dijken, JL Yan, NR Boonzaier, C Li, PJ van Laar, A van der Hoorn and SJ Price (2017) Subventricular zone involvement characterised by DTI in glioblastoma. World Neurosurgery 105:697-701.
- NR Boonzaier, TJ Larkin, T Matys, A van der Hoorn, J-L Yan, and SJ Price (2017) Multiparametric MRI assessment of diffusion and perfusion in contrast-enhancing and non-enhancing components in glioblastoma. Radiology 284(1):180-190.
- SJ Price, K Allinson, H Liu, NR Boonzaier, J-L Yan, VC Lupson and TJ Larkin (2017) IDH-1 mutated glioblastomas have a less invasive phenotype than IDH-1 wild type glioblastomas: a diffusion tensor imaging study. Radiology 283(1):215-221.
- R Sinha, JAD Morgan, JR Warwzynski, Z Czosnyka, M Kasprowicz, M Czosnyka, M Garnett, PJA Hutchinson, JD Pickard and SJ Price (2017) Comparison of ventricular drain location and infusion test in hydrocephalus. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica 135(3):291-301.
- J-L Yan, A van der Hoorn, TJ Larkin, NR Boonzaier, T Matys, SJ Price (2017) Extent of resection of peritumoural DTI abnormality as a predictor of survival in adult glioblastoma patients. Journal of Neurosurgery 126(1):234-241.
- T Ajithkumar, SJ Price, G Horan, A Burke and SJ Jefferies (2017) Prevention of radiotherapy-induced neurocognitive dysfunction in survivors of paediatric brain tumours – the potential role of modern imaging and radiotherapy techniques. The Lancet Oncology 18(2):e91-e100.
- NC Keong, A Pena, SJ Price, M Czosnyka, Z Czosnyka and JD Pickard (2016) Imaging normal pressure hydrocephalus: theories, techniques and challenges. Neurosurgery focus 41(3):E11.
- MG Hart, SJ Price and J Suckling (2017) Functional connectivity networks in neuro-oncology. Journal of Neurosurgery 126(6):1941-1950.
- MG Hart, SJ Price and J Suckling (2016) Connectome analysis for pre-operative brain mapping in neurosurgery. British Journal of Neurosurgery 30(5):506-517.
- A van der Hoorn, J-L Yan, TJ Larkin, NR Boonzaier, T Matys, SJ Price (2016) Validation of a semi-automatic co-registration of MRI scans in patients with brain tumors during treatment follow-up. NMR in Biomedicine 29(7):882-889.
- A van der Hoorn, J-L Yan, TJ Larkin, NR Boonzaier, T Matys, SJ Price (2016) Posttreatment ADC changes in the periresectional area in patients with glioblastoma. World Neurosurgery 92:159-65.
- ZH Czosnyka, R Sinha, JA Morgan, JR Wawrzynski, SJ Price, M Garnett, JD Pickard and M Czosnyka (2016) Shunt testing in vivo: observational study of problems with ventricular catheter. Acta Neurochirgica Suppl. 122:353-6.
- MG Hart, R Ypma, R Romero-Garcia, SJ Price and J Suckling (2016) Graph theory analysis of complex brain networks: new concepts in brain mapping applied to neurosurgery. Journal of Neurosurgery 124:1665-1678.
- SJ Price, Young AM, Scotton WJ, J Ching, LA Mohsen, NR Boonzaier, VC Lupson, JR Griffiths, MA McLean and TJ Larkin (2016) Multimodal MRI can identify perfusion and metabolic changes in the invasive margin of glioblastomas. Journal of magnetic resonance imaging 43(2): 487–494.
- DJ Clark, AG Kolias, MR Garnett, RA Trivedi, SJ Price and PJ Hutchinson (2016) Student-selected components in neurosurgery. British Journal of Neurosurgery, 30(1): 4-6.
- NR Boonzaier, SG Piccirillo, C Watts and SJ Price (2015) Assessing and monitoring intratumor heterogeneity in glioblastoma: how far has multimodal imaging come? CNS Oncology Dec;4(6):399-410.
- LS Hu, S Ning, JM Eschbacher, N Gaw, AC Dueck, KA Smith, P Nakaji, J Plasencia, S Ranjbar, SJ Price, N Tran, J Loftus, R Jenkins, BP O’Neill, W Elmquist, LC Baxter, F Gao, D Frakes, JP Karis, C Zwart, KR Swanson, J Sarkaria, T Wu, JR Mitchell and J Li (2015) Multi-Parametric MRI and Texture Analysis to Visualize Spatial Histologic Heterogeneity and Tumor Extent in Glioblastoma. PLoS One Nov 24;10(11):e0141506.
- BH Menze, A Jakab, S Bauer, J Kalpathy-Cramer, K Farahani, J Kirby, Y Burren, N Porz, J Slotboom, R Wiest, L Lanczi, E Gerstner, MA Weber, T Arbel, BB Avants, N Ayache, P Buendia, DL Collins, N Cordier, JJ Corso, A Criminisi, T Das, H Delingette, C Demiralp, CR Durst, M Dojat, S Doyle, J Festa, F Forbes, E Geremia, B Glocker, P Golland, X Guo, A Hamamci, KM Iftekharuddin, R Jena, NM John, E Konukoglu, D Lashkari, JA Mariz, R Meier, S Pereira, D Precup, SJ Price, TR Raviv, SM Reza, M Ryan, D Sarikaya, L Schwartz, HC Shin, J Shotton, CA Silva, N Sousa, NK Subbanna, G Szekely, TJ Taylor, OM Thomas, NJ Tustison, G Unal, F Vasseur, M Wintermark, DH Ye, L Zhao, B Zhao, D Zikic, M Prastawa, M Reyes and K Van Leemput. (2015) The Multimodal Brain Tumor Image Segmentation Benchmark (BRATS). IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. Oct;34(10):1993-2024.
- SJ Price (2015) Imaging Markers of IDH-1 Mutations in Gliomas. Neurosurgery 62 (Suppl 1): 166-70.
- SG Piccirillo, I Spiteri, A Sottoriva, A Touloumis, S Ber, SJ Price, R Heywood, NJ Francis, KD Howarth, VP Collins, AR Venkitaraman, C Curtis, JC Marioni, S Tavare’, C Watts (2015) Contributions to drug resistance in glioblastoma derived from malignant cells in the sub-ependymal zone. Cancer Research 75(1): 194-202.
- HM Bennett, H Mok, E Gkrania-Klotsas, IJ Tsai, EJ Stanley, NM Antoun, A Coghlan, B Harsha, A Traini, DM Ribeiro, S Steinbass, SB Lucas, K Allinson, SJ Price, TS Santarius, AJ Carmichael, PL Chiodini, N Holroyd, AF Dean, M Berriman (2014) The genome of the sparganosis tapeworm Spirometra erinaceieuropaei isolated from the biopsy of a migrating brain lesion. Genome Biology 2014 Nov 21;15(11):510.
- C Watts, SJ Price and T Santarius (2014) Current concepts in the surgical management of glioma patients. Clinical Oncology 26:385-394.
- SJ Price, M Guilfoyle, SJ Jefferies, F Harris, I Oberg, NG Burnet, T Santarius, C Watts (2013) Development of an integrated subspecialist multidisciplinary neuro-oncology service. BMJ Quality Improvement Reports 2(1) u201857. w981.
- SJ Jefferies, FP Harris, SJ Price, VP Collins, C Watts (2013) High Grade Glioma – The Arrival of the Molecular Diagnostic Era for Patients over the Age of 65 Years in the UK. Clinical Oncology 25(7): 391-3.
- LA Mohsen, V Shi, R Jena, JH Gillard and SJ Price (2013). Diffusion tensor invasive phenotypes can predict progression-free survival in glioblastomas. British Journal of Neurosurgery 27(4):436-441.
- A Elmahdi, AJ Frary, WJ Scotton, DG O’Donovan and SJ Price (2013) Glioblastomas with oligodendroglial component have the same clinical phenotype as classical glioblastomas. British Journal of Neurosurgery 27(4):419-424.
- D Zikic, B Glocker, E Konukoglu, A Criminisi, C Demiralp, J Shotton, OM Thomas, T Das, R Jena and SJ Price (2012) Decision forests for tissue-specific segmentation of high-grade gliomas in multi-channel MR. Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention 15(3):369-76.
- AK Annamalai, AS Powlson, N Kandasamy, K Lodge, J Graggaber, DJ Halsall, NM Antoun, HK Cheow, PC Buttery, E George, M Griffiths, SJ Price, JD Pickard, S Pasupathy and M Gurnell (2012) Hypopituitarism, pulmonary infiltration and a spontaneously resolving occipital mass. QJM 108:147-149.
- Piccirillo SG, Dietz S, Madhu B, Griffiths J, Price SJ, Collins VP, Watts C (2012) Fluorescence-guided surgical sampling of glioblastoma identifies phenotypically distinct tumour-initiating cell populations in the tumour mass and margin. British Journal of Cancer 107: 462-468.
- MA McLean, A Sun, TE Bradstreet, AK Schaeffer, H Liu, R Iannone, G Herman, R A Railkar, I Joubert, JH Gillard, SJ Price and JR Griffiths (2012) Repeatability of edited lactate and other metabolites in astrocytoma at 3 Tesla. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 36: 468-475.
- SJ Price, IR Whittle, K Ashkan, P Grundy & G Cruickshank (2012) NICE Guidance on the Use of Carmustine Wafers in High Grade Gliomas: A National Study on Variation in Practice. British Journal of Neurosurgery 26: 331-335.
- R Ryan, S Booth and S Price (2012) Corticosteroid-use in primary and secondary brain tumour patients: a review. Journal of Neuro-Oncology 106:449-459.
- SJ Price and JH Gillard (2012) Imaging biomarkers of brain tumour margin and tumour invasion. The British Journal of Radiology 84 (Suppl. 2): S159-S167.
- SJ Price, DJ Tozer and JH Gillard (2012) Methodology of Diffusion-Weighted, Diffusion Tensor and Magnetisation Transfer Imaging. The British Journal of Radiology 84 (Suppl. 2): S121-S126.
- MR Guilfoyle, RA Weerakkody, A Oswal, I Oberg, C Jeffery, K Haynes, PJ Kullar, D Greenberg, SJ Jefferies, F Harris, SJ Price, S Thomson, and C Watts (2011) Implementation of neuro-oncology service reconfiguration in accordance with NICE guidance provides enhanced clinical care for patients with glioblastoma multiforme. British Journal of Cancer 104:1810-1815.
- SJ Price, HA Green, AF Dean, J Joseph, PJ Hutchinson, and JH Gillard (2011) Correlation of MR Relative Cerebral Blood Volume Measurements with Cellular Density and Proliferation in High-Grade Gliomas: An Image-Guided Biopsy Study. AJNR American Journal of Neuroradiology 32(3):501-506.
- SJ Price (2010) Advances in imaging low-grade gliomas. Advances and Technical Standards in Neurosurgery 35:1-34.
- HJ Marcus, KL Carpenter, SJ Price, and PJ Hutchinson (2010) In vivo assessment of high-grade glioma biochemistry using microdialysis: a study of energy-related molecules, growth factors and cytokines. Journal of Neuro-oncology 97:11-23.
- SJ Price, TD Fryer, MC Cleij, AF Dean, J Joseph, R Salvador, DD Wang, PJ Hutchinson, JC Clark, NG Burnet, JD Pickard, FI Aigbirhio, and JH Gillard (2009) Imaging regional variation of cellular proliferation in gliomas using 3′-deoxy-3′-[18F]fluorothymidine positron-emission tomography: an image-guided biopsy study. Clinical Radiology 64:52-63.
- T Santarius, PJ Kirkpatrick, D Ganesan, HL Chia, I Jalloh, P Smielewski, HK Richards, H Marcus, RA Parker, SJ Price, RW Kirollos, JD Pickard, and PJ Hutchinson (2009) Use of drains versus no drains after burr-hole evacuation of chronic subdural haematoma: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 374:1067-1073.
- AD Waldman, A Jackson, SJ Price, CA Clark, TC Booth, DP Auer, PS Tofts, DJ Collins, MO Leach, and JH Rees (2009) Quantitative imaging biomarkers in neuro-oncology. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 6:445-454.
- YZ Al-Tamimi, A Helmy, S Bavetta, and SJ Price (2009) Assessment of zero drift in the Codman intracranial pressure monitor: a study from 2 neurointensive care units. Neurosurgery 64:94-98.
- HJ Marcus, SJ Price, M Wilby, T Santarius, and RW Kirollos (2008) Radiotherapy as an adjuvant in the management of intracranial meningiomas: are we practising evidence-based medicine? Br.J Neurosurg. 22:520-528.
- SJ Price (2007) The role of advanced MR imaging in understanding brain tumour pathology. Br.J Neurosurg. 21:562-575.
- NG Burnet, AG Lynch, SJ Jefferies, SJ Price, PH Jones, NM Antoun, JH Xuereb, and U Pohl (2007) High grade glioma: imaging combined with pathological grade defines management and predicts prognosis. Radiother.Oncol 85:371-378.
- MR Guilfoyle, H Fernandes, and SJ Price (2007) In vivo alteration of Strata valve setting by vagus nerve stimulator-activating magnet. British Journal of Neurosurgery 21:41-42.
- SJ Price, R Jena, NG Burnet, TA Carpenter, JD Pickard, and JH Gillard (2007) Predicting patterns of glioma recurrence using diffusion tensor imaging. European Radiology 17:1675-1684.
- SJ Price, R Jena, HA Green, NF Kirkby, AG Lynch, CE Coles, JD Pickard, JH Gillard, and NG Burnet (2007) Early Radiotherapy Dose Response and Lack of Hypersensitivity Effect in Normal Brain Tissue: a Sequential Dynamic Susceptibility Imaging Study of Cerebral Perfusion. Clinical Oncology 19:577-587.
- A Pena, HAL Green, TA Carpenter, SJ Price, JD Pickard, and JH Gillard (2006) Enhanced visualization and quantification of magnetic resonance diffusion tensor imaging using the p:q tensor decomposition. The British Journal of Radiology 79:101-109.
- SJ Price, R Jena, NG Burnet, PJ Hutchinson, AF Dean, A Pena, JD Pickard, TA Carpenter, and JH Gillard (2006) Improved Delineation of Glioma Margins and Regions of Infiltration with the Use of Diffusion Tensor Imaging: An Image-Guided Biopsy Study. American Journal of Neuroradiology 27:1969-1974.
- R Jena, SJ Price, C Baker, SJ Jefferies, JD Pickard, JH Gillard, and NG Burnet (2005) Diffusion tensor imaging: possible implications for radiotherapy treatment planning of patients with high-grade glioma . Clinical Oncology 17:581-590.
- G Tipper, JM King-Im, SJ Price, RA Trivedi, JJ Cross, NJ Higgins, R Farmer, J Wat, R Kirollos, PJ Kirkpatrick, NM Antoun, and JH Gillard (2005) Detection and evaluation of intracranial aneurysms with 16-row multislice CT angiography. Clin Radiol 60:565-572.
- SJ Price, A Pena, NG Burnet, R Jena, HA Green, TA Carpenter, JD Pickard, and JH Gillard (2004) Tissue signature characterisation of diffusion tensor abnormalities in cerebral gliomas. Eur.Radiol 14:1909-1917.
- SJ Price, A Pena, NG Burnet, JD Pickard, and JH Gillard (2004) Detecting glioma invasion of the corpus callosum using diffusion tensor imaging. British Journal of Neurosurgery 18:391-395.
- SJ Price, NG Burnet, T Donovan, HA Green, A Pena, NM Antoun, JD Pickard, TA Carpenter, and JH Gillard (2003) Diffusion Tensor Imaging of Brain Tumours at 3T: A Potential Tool for Assessing White Matter Tract Invasion? Clin.Radiol 58:455-462.
- SJ Price, N Suttner, and AR Aspoas (2003) Have ATLS and national transfer guidelines improved the quality of resuscitation and transfer of head-injured patients?: A prospective survey from a Regional Neurosurgical Unit. Injury 34:834-838.
- SJ Price, KM David, DG O’Donovan, and AR Aspoas (2001) Arachnoid cyst of the craniocervical junction: case report. Neurosurgery 49:212-215.
- SJ Price and N Buxton (1998) Adynamic ileus complicating lumbar laminectomy: a report of two cases. Br J Neurosurg. 12:162-164.
- AG Patel, SJ Price, and PU Reber (1995) Helicobacter pylori infection in perforated peptic ulcer disease. Br J Surg. 82:1140-1141.
- SJ Price, Chapter 14: The Brain and Meninges, in Lecture Notes: General Surgery, 13th Edition, (2016) Eds: Harold Ellis, Sir Roy Calne, Christopher Watson, Wiley-Blackwell.
- SJ Price, Chapter 15: Head Injury, in Lecture Notes: General Surgery, 13th Edition, (2016) Eds: Harold Ellis, Sir Roy Calne, Christopher Watson, Wiley-Blackwell.
- SJ Price, and AD Waldman, Advances in Imaging Brain Cancer, in Emerging Concepts in Neuro-Oncology (2013) Ed: Colin Watts, Springer.